My Workout = Injury
Went to the gym today to hit shoulders for the second time this week. Shoulders still the weakest area due to several years of issues with hypermobile joints and impingement.
For all my sets I started with heavier weights and than lowered the weight as I started to fatigue. Aimed for 6-8 reps and than 10-12, so reverse pyramid. Here's how it went:
3 sets - pull ups (warm up)
3 sets - pull downs behind head
3 sets - pull downs to chest
3 sets - 45 degree shoulder press with dumb bells
3 sets - smith machine shoulder press behind head
3 sets - dumb bell rows
3 sets - rear delt pull downs
drop set - shoulder press on machine
3 sets - rear delt flys on machine
3 sets -bicep curls
Wow, just realised that I did an awful lot of sets in an hour. Well all of that resulted in injuring my right trapezius muscle. This is the most common injury that I suffer and have had this problems for 10 years. Hence why I have been going through shoulder rehabilitation for the past 4 years and only since January 2012 avoided the need for surgery.
Recovery
Best way to recover from a trapezius injury is REST and ICE. As simple as that! I cannot take any form of pain killers as it causes complications to due suffering from ulcerative colitis. I have applied ice to the affected area for about 15 minutes and will be sleeping like a vampire on my back for two nights. During the day I will try and avoid unnecessary movement and use of my right shoulder.
Recovery Supplement
Bedtime protein consisted of the usual: Optimum Nutrition Casein, 350ml Almond milk, almond butter and 5g of Reflex L-Glutamine. To aid in recovery I also added 3g of aminos (BCAA's). Hopefully when I wake up in the morning I won't be in much pain. Only one way to find out.
Good night
No comments:
Post a Comment