Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Formulation of my diet

A friend recently asked me about how I was formulating my diet. Three days ago I started a new diet that has all the restrictions from Low FODMAP and SCD in order to help my body get into remission from ulcerative colitis.

Here is my response which I feel might be relevant to share:
I had to change my entire lifestyle when I got UC so a lot of what I know is through research, trial and error (experimenting), nutritional advice from the Hospital and more research. My diet is following the combined restrictions of 'Low FODMAP' and 'SCD'. Heck the diet also coincides with the 'Paleo' diet and has some correlation with 'Low carb' and 'Keto diet'.
At the end of the day my body has certain requirements in order to build new lean muscle and to continue to burn body fat yet keeping the disease at bay and staying healthy and energetic. However the disease means I have many restrictions which I must consider and develop my meals around in order to get the nutrition I require. I still consume my required 2200 calories per day and hit the gym 5 days a week with the weekend for cardio (that is the plan but I have to wake up at 5.30am to be able to accomplish that).

Like all diet plans the key thing is to know how much you need to eat to maintain your 'weight' and than take into consideration your level of activity. The science is the same ENERGY IN and ENERGY OUT. Eat more than your body requires and gain 'weight' and eat less or do more exercise to lose it. Lazy people go on diets, they eat less and they lose 'weight' in the form of water and potentially muscle mass. THEY ARE STILL FAT BUT WITH LESS WEIGHT!!

To effectively lose 'weight' the goal should be to 'LOSE FAT'. Burn away the body fat to lose the overall weight and increase lean muscle mass to increase metabolism. That requires healthy controlled eating and EXERCISE. Use exercise to burn the fat and food to help fuel the body.

There is much I can say but I feel I am typing to much. Would be good to see you. Heard to were coming down this weekend with Xavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment